- Airline also recognized for Best Airport Services as well as having the Best Airline Staff and Best First Class Lounge among Asia
- SKYTRAX also gave ANA 3rd place in the global Airline of the Year category
TOKYO, Sept. 29, 2021 – All Nippon Airways (ANA), Japan’s largest and 5-Star airline for nine consecutive years was recognized with a total of four prestigious awards from the SKYTRAX World Airline Awards, including repeat recognition for World’s Best Airline Cabin Cleanliness and for offering the World’s Best Airport Services. On a regional level, ANA won recognition in the Asian categories for Best Airline Staff and Best First Class Lounge. In addition, ANA received 3rd place in the Airline of the Year category for the second consecutive time.
SKYTRAX is recognized as the leading international air transport rating organization, and this year marks the first time that ANA was selected as a winner in four distinct categories in the same year. ANA previously won World’s Best Airport Services in 2019 as well as the Best Airline Staff in Asia award in 2017 and 2018. In addition, ANA also received the newly established COVID-19 Excellence Award, which follows on the 5 star safety rating it earned in March for its response to the COVID-19 pandemic previously granted in March. Because the awards were suspended during 2020, SKYTRAX judged airlines based on their performance from September 2019 to July 2021.
“Every employee at ANA strives to improve performance on a daily basis and offer passengers the ideal travel experience, so the recognition from SKYTRAX helps to confirm that we are maintaining our standards for excellence,” said Junko Yazawa, Senior Vice President at ANA overseeing Customer Experience Management & Planning. “We are proud to be recognized as one of the foremost airlines in the world for our efforts to elevate the comfort and convenience of our passengers. We will not rest on these accolades and use this as motivation to continue improving every aspect of the passenger experience.”
World’s Best Airline Cabin Cleanliness (3-time recipient)
This award is given to the airline with the highest rating for hygiene and cleanliness of its aircraft cabins. In the midst of a global pandemic, ANA staff in Japan and around the world have been recognized for their exceptional efforts to set the standard in hygiene and cleanliness. ANA has been implementing the following initiatives since June 2020 through the ANA Care Promise, the airline’s preventive measures to combat the spread of COVID-19, to ensure that customers can use our services with comfort and peace of mind.
• The aircraft cabin is thoroughly ventilated and disinfected on a regular basis. Cabin attendants wear masks and gloves (as well as eye shields in some cases). In addition, alcohol disinfectant wipes and masks are distributed upon request. Some in-flight services are temporarily suspended or simplified in order to maintain a clean and hygienic environment.
• In-flight restrooms are equipped with door handles and locks that allow passengers to use their elbows when opening the restroom doors (renovations to the fleet are in progress).
World’s Best Airport Services (8-time recipient)
This award is presented to the airline with the highest evaluation score in overall airport services. This is the 8th time that ANA has received this award. It was awarded most recently in the last awards period in 2019.
• ANA introduced the “ANA Baggage Drop (ABD)” automatic baggage check-in machine at Itami Airport, and redesigned the departure counter. The ABD system is already in use at Haneda Airport, New Chitose Airport, Fukuoka Airport, and Naha Airport.
• Introduced flapper gates at the security checkpoint of Haneda Airport Terminal 2.
• Launched a reservation service for transportation from the airport, which allows passengers to make reservations for private cars and fixed-rate taxis to designated locations.
Best Airline Staff in Asia (6-time recipient)
This award is given to airlines based in Asia that provide the best quality of service to passengers through its airport staff and cabin crew. This is the 6th time that ANA has received this award, following on the recognition it most recently received in 2018.
• Conducted training in order for staff to be able to interact with customers in an appropriate manner at check-in counters and lounges, and to accurately understand and respond to requests from customers.
• Conducted customer skill contests at airports in Japan and overseas that allow staff to hone their customer service skills and hospitality.
Best First Class Lounge in Asia (new award)
This award is presented to the airline with the highest rating for its first class lounge in Asia, and ANA received this award for the first time. In addition to the well-received food and beverage services, the ANA lounges feature interior facilities and services designed to meet the diverse needs of all ANA passengers.